I mentioned a sometime last week that I was going to try a smoothing treatment at home, with the California Smooth brand. I have previously used the Chi Envro Treatment, and you can find my review by clicking here ---> Chi Enviro.
The California Smoothing Treatment can be purchased on Amazon, or at a beauty supply store like CosmoProf. It is an all natural treatment, without chemicals. This is what the kit will look like. Some variations actually come in bottles, not packets. I found that there was plenty of product for my shoulder length hair.
I'll show you how I did it, but let me preface this by saying I much preferred the Chi Enviro treatment. The California Smooth Treatment didn't really do much for me. It helped a little bit with the frizz, but beyond that my beauty routine for my hair really wasn't changed at all. --->See Chi Enviro!
If you decide to try the California Smooth - here are your steps!
1. Shampoo with the clarifying shampoo, twice.
2. Blow dry hair 100% dry.
3. Apply both Keratin Smoothing treatment packets (per the instructions). I used about a packet and a half. You can see in the photo above, my hair was pretty much saturated with the product, so I didn't apply any more per youtiube videos that I watched about application. I used a color applying brush to do this.
4. Apply a processing cap for 30 minutes.
5. Do not rinse! Blow dry treatment into hair until it is 100% dry.
6. Flat iron hair. Pass over each section 7 - 10 times.
7. Do not wash hair for 3 days, and don't put anything in your hair that can cause a crease (bobby pin, headband, etc). Do not get hair wet.
-Cheaper than a professional treatment
-All natural, no chemicals
-Relatively easy to apply without help
-I didn't see results
-My hair was super greasy the 2nd day and don't even talk about the 3rd! Even with dry shampoo, it was all I could do not to wash my hair (The Chi Enviro lets you wash your hair a lot sooner!! --->Chi Enviro), and I didn't even use the full 2 packets of product!
-It was really hard not to put any kind of crease making hair accessories in my hair for 3 days
-My hair routine is unchanged
Overall, if you are looking for an at home alternative to a professional, costly straightening treatment, there are options that work. Maybe the California Smooth just didn't work for my hair type. I highly prefer the Chi Enviro over the Clalifornia Smooth.
Have any of you ever tried these brands? What did you think?